Exploring Guardians of the Galaxy Ride at Epcot
Get ready to blast off into the universe of Marvel with the highly anticipated Guardians of the Galaxy ride Orlando: Cosmic Rewind ride at Epcot! Set to open on May 27, 2022, this thrilling rollercoaster promises an immersive journey through space and time, with familiar faces from the popular franchise along the way.
In this ultimate guide, we’ll dive into everything you need to know about this must-visit attraction at Epcot, including its location, how to ride, ride vehicles, and fun facts. So strap in and join us as we explore the wonders of Xandar and beyond!
Guardians Of The Galaxy Ride Orlando: Cosmic Rewind Overview
Before we delve into the nitty-gritty details, let’s first look at some quick facts about this innovative new attraction:
|Location||Epcot, in the World Discovery neighborhood|
|Height requirement||42 inches.|
|Suitable for||Anyone over the height requirement who loves thrill rides|
|Ride Time||4 minutes|
|Accessibility information||visitors using ECVs or wheelchairs must transfer to the ride vehicle; handheld captioning devices are available.|
|Do we Recommend it or not?||Absolutely! This famous new ride is a must-do, especially for Marvel fans.|
|How to visit?||When your boarding group is called or during your Individual Lightning Lane window|
|Is Lightning Lane available at the ride?||Yes|
|Is Ride Eligible for Early Entry?||No|
|Is Ride Eligible for Extended Evening Hours?||Yes|
Now that we have a brief overview, let’s dive deeper into the various aspects of the Epcot Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind experience.
Location: World Discovery
Guardians of the Galaxy ride Orlando: Cosmic Rewind is located within the new World Discovery land at Epcot.
- This area, formerly known as Future World, now houses the Wonders of Xandar pavilion, which was previously home to Ellen’s Energy Adventure.
- The pavilion has been transformed into a stunning showcase of Xandarian culture and technology, setting the stage for this exciting new attraction.
How To Ride: Virtual Queue And Individual Lightning Lane
At its initial opening, Guardians Of the Galaxy Epcot Ride: Cosmic Rewind will utilize a virtual queue system with no standby line available. It means that
- Visitors must secure a boarding group through the My Disney Experience app to be granted access to the ride.
- The process resembles Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure and Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.
There are two distribution times for boarding groups each day:
- One at 7 a.m., which can be booked from anywhere,
- Second at 1 p.m., which requires visitors to be inside the park.
- A third drop time at 6 p.m. is available for resort visitors eligible for Extended Evening Hours.
In addition to the virtual queue,
- Visitors can purchase an Individual Lightning Lane pass for the attraction.
- It will allow riders to reserve a specific return time without participating in the boarding group process.
Note: Individual Lightning Lane can sell out, so secure yours as soon as possible on the day of your visit.
If you are visiting the ride with young children who do not meet the height requirement, you can take advantage of Disney’s Rider Switch system. This will allow you to ride while another waits with your infant.
However, you will still need a boarding group or an Individual Lightning Lane pass to participate in Rider Switch at this attraction.
Besides, if the queue line is enormous, there are plenty of nearby attractions and activities to keep you and the child entertained. Check out the Treasures of Xandar gift shop at the ride’s exit, or grab a snack at the nearby Connections Eatery.
The Queue: Galaxarium And Xandarian Exhibits
The guardian’s ride queue begins outside the Wonders of Xandar pavilion and mostly takes place indoors, making it a great respite from the Florida heat.
While not an interactive queue, there’s plenty to see and explore as you go through the Galaxarium. This planetarium-like exhibition showcases the connections between Xandar and Earth. Showcasing the stunning visuals and narration by the sentient supercomputer, Worldmind.
As you continue through the queue, you’ll encounter museum-like displays featuring:
- Nova Corps uniforms
- A model of the Starblaster ship,
- High-tech projections.
Before boarding the ride, you’ll also experience a pre-show featuring your favorite Guardians of the Galaxy characters, including:
Nebula, Mantis, and Yandu will not receive you as this ride is set in another timeline rather than what we have all seen in Marvel cinematic universe.
Ride Vehicles: Starjumpers And The Omnicoaster System
The ride vehicles for Cosmic Rewind, known as “Starjumpers,” are truly unique. The attraction utilizes an “Omnicoaster” system, which combines the continuous movement and 360-degree rotation of Omnimover attractions with the thrill of a roller coaster.
This controlled rotation ensures that riders always face the action, even as the coaster track travels in different directions.
Each Starjumper can accommodate up to four riders, with two rows of two seats. A pull-down lap bar ensures your safety throughout the high-speed adventure.
On the Ride: Action, Adventure, and Music
Upon entering the Galaxarium, visitors are invited to teleport to a Nova Ship for a demonstration of a “cosmic generator.” However, things quickly go awry when the generator is stolen, and the Guardians of the Galaxy are called upon to save the day.
Boarding your Starjumper, you’ll embark on an intergalactic chase through time and space, complete with a reverse launch and a rotating ride vehicle.
As you race through the galaxy, you’ll be treated to one of six classic songs from Peter Quill’s “Awesome Mix” playlist. These tunes include:
- “Conga” by Miami Sound Machine
- “September” by Earth, Wind, & Fire
- “I Ran” by A Flock of Seagulls
- “Everybody Wants To Rule the World” by Tears For Fears
- “Disco Inferno” by The Trampps
- “One Way or Another” by Blondie
With six unique ride sequences available, fans will be eager to experience every combination of action, adventure, and music!
Visitors using ECVs or wheelchairs must transfer into the ride vehicle when it’s time to ride. The last car of each vehicle features a larger door for easier transfers.
Handheld captioning devices and assistive listening features are available for visitors with visual and hearing disabilities, and service animals are not permitted at the attraction.
Are The Guardians Of The Galaxy Ride Orlando Kid-Friendly?
While the 42-inch height requirement may limit younger riders, those who meet the requirement and are fans of roller coasters and the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise will undoubtedly love this attraction. However, children sensitive to darkness, fast speeds, or spinning rides may want to skip this.
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind History and Fun Facts
Here are some interesting titbits and historical facts about this ground-breaking attraction:
- The ride was first announced at the 2017 D23 Expo. The original opening date is planned for Disney World’s 50th anniversary in 2021. However, due to the pandemic, the opening date was pushed to May 27, 2022.
- The ride is Disney’s first-ever reverse-launch roller coaster and the first to utilize the programmable Omnicoaster ride system.
- The attraction features several nods to Ellen’s Energy Adventure, the previous occupant of the Wonders of Xandar pavilion.
- Hidden Mickeys and other fun Easter eggs can be found throughout the queue and ride experience.
The ride truly takes you on an epic journey with your beloved characters. So gear up and prepare for an out-of-this-world adventure on the Guardians of the Galaxy roller coaster ride: Cosmic Rewind at Epcot. With its innovative ride system, immersive storytelling, and thrilling action, this attraction will indeed become a favorite among Marvel fans and thrill-seekers.